Overview for New York
While New York State has fairly restrictive; gun laws New York Cities are much stricter
Since New York State doesn't have preemption over local restrictions many local governments have their own firearm restrictions. In the event of a firearm being stolen the owner has 24 hours to report the theft to the police. It is illegal to alter or remove the serial number of any firearm.
There is a $3 registration fee for firearms. All firearms that the state of New York classifies as “assault weapons” have to be registered by January 15, 2014.
- Buffalo, Albany, and Rochester have their own “assault weapons” banns
- In Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester counties permits are valid for 5 years.
New York City
- New York City does not except any permit issued through the rest of New York. NYC’s handgun license costs $340 plus a charge of $91.50 for finger print processing. NYC permits are valid for 3 years, and the wait for a permit can be over 6 months in some cases.
- NYC requires citizens to have a long gun permit. Only 1 long gun can be bought every 90 days
- NYC requires all handguns to be registered. After purchasing a new handgun the owner has 72 hours to register it with NYC.
- For more information on New York City’s firearm regulations click here
State Preemption of Local RestrictionsDetails
The Concealed Carry Permit
(often encompasses the open carry permit)
- Price: $140
- Valid for Varies by county from lifetime to 5 years.
- Regarding Non-residents of New York: Varies by county
- Non-resident permits are valid for Varies by county
- An owner's license is is required by the state, the form varies by county. Some counties require a separate license and others count the CWW as an owners license.
- Permit to Purchase: Handguns only
- Permits to Purchase Year/Cost: Varies by county
New York City
- Price: $431.50 with finger printing. It is a separate permit from the state. New York State permits are not valid in NYC
- Valid for 2 years
- Regarding Non-residents of New York City: $431.50 with finger printing. It is a separate permit from the state. New York State permits are not valid in NYC
- An owner's license is required for long guns and handguns
- Permit to Purchase: Required for long guns and handguns
Offical Concealed Carry page for New York.
New York honors the permits of
New York does not honor any other stat's permits.
New York's permits are honored by
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin